what breed is our chick??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lindisfarne, Sep 23, 2012.

1. lindisfarne

lindisfarne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2012
    Walton on the Naze, UK
    Hi there[​IMG]
    We have a chick which we are having difficulty identifying and could use your help!....
    Long story, but was bought as a sumatra egg, hatched into a possible shamo but now we're not so sure if it is....
    Chick is 18 days in pics and as you can see is getting a large comb already and much bigger than the silkie of the same age, we have compared with other shamo chicks and none seem to have a comb so early..[​IMG]
    The breeder originally said it must be shamo as he keeps these, japanese, cochins, sumatras and faverolles....but we are not 100% convinced
    Can anyone offer any suggestions or confirm if it is a shamo? Any help would be much appreciated!
    thanks alot!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    too early for breed or sex

but even then it looks like a roo

for breed repost in a few weeks time

btw shamo have pea combs and that looks like a straight

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. lindisfarne

Sep 1, 2012
    Walton on the Naze, UK
    thanks! [​IMG] thought it might be a bit early to tell... i'm also pretty sure it doesn't seem to be a shamo....what else could it be though???
    i know it looks like a roo but we'll give it a bit more time as its still early...it did feather out really quickly in wings and tail [​IMG]

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    its not a sumatra or faverolles either, so that leaves cochin or jap. I dont think cochin as there is no leg feathers so that leaves jap roo

5. lindisfarne

Sep 1, 2012
    Walton on the Naze, UK
    Thanks! We thought Jap may be the only one it could be, but after looking at pics of them, ours seems to have very long legs in comparison, and is alot bigger than the silkie, as you can see from the pics...so would you rule Shamo out as well?

6. lindisfarne

Sep 1, 2012
    Walton on the Naze, UK
    Update! We did a bit of snooping on ebay to check what other eggs the seller had sold and looks like there's alot more breeds than he told us about (possible that these weren't producing eggs at the time but still......) Now we think it may be a white leghorn! any ideas??

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    it might be a leghorn shamos dont have a single comb

8. cluckcluck3499

cluckcluck3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Tennessee
    I think it may be a leghorn, too..thats what mine looked like

9. lindisfarne

Sep 1, 2012
    Walton on the Naze, UK
    Leghorn seems to be the most likely then....does anything else look like a leghorn chick? will keep you updated as it grows![​IMG]

10. lindisfarne

Sep 1, 2012
    Walton on the Naze, UK
    Here 'he' is now 3 weeks and 2 days. I'm definitely thinking Leghorn!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by