What breed is our chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Brendarh, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Brendarh

Brendarh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Clarksville, Maryland
    Hi, we acquired this little chicken in July and were wondering what breed she is? Her age is unknown, she isn't laying any eggs, & we were wondering if she could live in this little coop all winter in Maryland or if she needed some heat?
    Thanks for any help! We had two little chickens & one died suddenly last week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    She looks like a red sex link, which is an egg layer hybrid. I would get her some friends because of winter coming up. Chickens are social animals, they can get depressed when they have no one to hang with.

3. jacksboro_red

jacksboro_red Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Jacksboro
    not a red sex link but it is a sex link. looks like a gold comet to me. ive got both and i think theres too much white in it to be a red. looks like my comets

4. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:From Feathersite.com :

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Buff with white or tinted undercolor (such as Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White)
    Red with White or tinted undercolor (Cinnamon Queen)
    Red with Red undercolor (Delaware x Production Red) (In this color pattern it is almost impossible to distinguish daughters' color from father's color.)

Even the roosters that come out white from these crosses are called red sex links. [​IMG]

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    As red as her face is - - - you will be getting some eggs soon.

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    She will be okay in the coop, but I would definitely get her a chicken buddy- she will get lonely!

7. jacksboro_red

jacksboro_red Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Jacksboro
    so do they consider gold comets a red sex link? i thought they were a seperate cross. I guess what ive bought through hatcheries that were called a red sex link the roosters are mainly white, but the hens are a deep red with just white tipped feathers. my gold comet hens have alot of white that lightens up the red color to look "almost" buff or gold. maybe there all technically red sex links though idk? Just looks like what the hatchery calls a gold comet i guess is what i mean

8. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:I gotcha, they do consider the gold comets a red sex link, plus many other crosses.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yes Gold Comets are a Red Sex-Link -
    As chicks, cockerels are white, and the pullets are more brownish red in color.

There are only 2, "color types" of Sex-links Red and Black.

In short Red Sex-links are a Gold rooster over a Silver Hen and a Black Sex-links are most any color Rooster over a Barred or Cuckoo Hen.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. Brendarh

Brendarh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Clarksville, Maryland
    Thanks, everyone. I got her 3 new buddies at the poultry show.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by