1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is our rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crystalgee, Dec 12, 2012.

1. crystalgee

crystalgee New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We have a gorgeous rooster and a hen we've had about a year or so. The hen is a Barnevelder which is very obvious but we've had problems figuring the breed of our rooster. The guy we bought him from (as a chick) said he was Ameraucana/ Easter Egger. When
    our hen (the Barnevelder) recently laid eggs they were all brown, not one was blue/green- which made me question the breed of our roo. After reading up a little, we realized that there were a lot of differences. We had four chick hatch: one yellow, one yellow with brown markings, one mostly black with yellow markings, one black with a lot of yellow markings.
    Please help and/or verify our breed.

-White Earlobes
    -Four Toes
    -Green Tail Feathers
    -Single Comb
    -Paleish Legs
    -Blackish beak

Thanks so much! Crystal

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    hes a pretty mix

3. ImpulsiveFarmer

ImpulsiveFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Having an EE roo would not change the color of your hen's eggs. If he is an EE some of his female offspring may lay colored eggs. I'm no breed expert so I can't much help you with id of your bird but he does look kind of like some other EE roos I've seen, but his comb looks a little off. EE are not pure breds so he could still be an EE, there is a great deal of variation among individual chickens.

4. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if he has some ee in him He does not carry the color egg gene since he has a single comb. and yes as above the roo does not change the hens egg color. He can only affect the babies egg color.

5. ImpulsiveFarmer

ImpulsiveFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Chautauqua County, NY
    good to know you can tell if they have the color egg gene by looking at the comb! I did not know this. learn something new every day.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  6. crystalgee

crystalgee New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    Virginia
    Thank you, we are still new to this and aren't 100% educated on all breeds so everything helps guys.

7. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the few ee that I have come across with single combs dont carry the colored gene others have said the same of single combed ees they have come across

8. crystalgee

crystalgee New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    Virginia
    Alright well does anyone have any idea of what type of bird he may be?

9. crystalgee

crystalgee New Egg

Dec 12, 2012
    Virginia
    I've looked at silver marans, sussexs', and leghorns.

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Mixed breed, and very handsome.

The association between blue eggs and comb type is not strictly true. Cream Legbars have a single comb and lay blue eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by