What breed is she? Dropped off hen and chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vegaschick, Aug 5, 2010.

1. vegaschick

vegaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    While I was out of state last month, someone from church called and said they'd found a hen with chicks in their front yard. They'd had them about a week and had heard we kept chickens so maybe we wanted them? My sister made a place for them and they brought them by...a hen and 3 chicks, each chick a different color. The hen is quite different from those that I have owned before and I would like to have an idea of what breed she is. I think she may be some type of game bird? I so don't know. Please help. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. vegaschick

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Anyone?

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Looks like she is at least partially gamefowl.

-Daniel

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Am game mix.

5. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Modern American Game

6. vegaschick

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    That's pretty much what I thought. She's a pretty good sized girl, not a banty, I think, and a very good momma. They know to look for treats when I come by, anything from fruit to tomato worms, and she allows the chicks to get within inches of me now. I am a bit worried about down the road. I've had her for about 3 wks now and the chicks looked to be about 2 wks when I got her. How long should they stay with her and when will I know when she/they are ready to be parted? It's my first time with a momma hen. I'm also worried about incorporating her into my flock. I may try to find her owners on CL. I think I've seen ads on there regarding gamebirds for the area where I think they came from. What would you do?

Well, thanks to all those who so graciously answered my question about breed. You're awesome!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Vegaschick - at first I thought maybe OEG cross but you say she is a bit larger than a banty - I really do not know - her legs look so tiny!

As for the broody part, I let my hens decide when they are done with the chicks. She will start distancing herself during the day and at night may stop letting them try to snuggle with her. I do have a SL cochin - large fowl - who never broke her chicks from hanging with her last year (October clutch) and all three (mom and two girls) snuggle together at night - all are laying but still love their mom.

Because I cannot refuse a broody [​IMG] I would add her to my flock. Quarantine for 30 day with the chicks, then if I was still nervous about her being a carrier - of some chicken disease, I would put a "disposable" (gosh that is a horrible word) chicken in with her for another 30 to 48 days. (Disposable - a chicken who if dies will not break your heart like if the whole flock got sick and died)

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you plan on raising more chicks, keep her. She's a proven good broody as befits her game heritage.

9. vegaschick

Nov 16, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Awesome! I think I'll keep her. I could really use a broody.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

*I* would keep her.

I keep reading about all these BYC folks who get stray chickens dropped on them, or that show up in their yard, or they find dumped somewhere and they rescue 'em... why doesn't that happen to ME???

She's a cutie, too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by