What breed is she??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by annerss03, Dec 31, 2016.

1. annerss03

annerss03 Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    This is our little girl Nugget and we believe she is just starting to lay eggs! We have gotten 5 so far and they are light brown! She is about 5 months old and is smaller than the others we have, so thinking she may be some type of bantam! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I am thinking Cochin or Cochin mix. The feathering on her feet seems a little reduced, making me think mix but I could be wrong. She looks too big to be a bantum to me, I am looking on my phone. Edit: bantam.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. annerss03

annerss03 Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    Let me see if I can get some better pics of her!

4. annerss03

annerss03 Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say she is mostly Cochin bantam, but with such sparse leg feathering I suspect there she is a cross as well.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey annerss03

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to breeds of chickens and/or mixes but having a bantam Langshan myself, I am wondering, with the feathered outer toe, could she have some Langshan in her?

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Shape is wrong for Langshan, and they aren't available in bantam sized. Plus, their extended black coloring is very dominant. The bird in question is likely a Cochin mix. With the way she holds her wings, I suspect some Old English Game influence.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey junebuggena Cool, it was just a thought [​IMG]

When you said they are "not available in bantam sized" I am thinking, hang on, I have one! LOL

But, being in Aus, research indicates that I have a bantam Australian Langshan as opposed to their Croad cousins. The feathered outer toe and tail could fit with a mix with bantam Australian Langshan but yeah, the chances of that, if not in Aus, are very slim [​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I could see her being a Cochin mix, or a hatchery Cochin. Either way, she's likely to go broody for you this spring, if you're so inclined to hatch chicks.

10. annerss03

annerss03 Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Riverside, Ca
    Thank everyone! She was the only one that I didn't write down what the breeder thought she was as a chick!! The breeder had soo many types breeds there is a very high chance she is mixed with something so that's def why I couldn't figure it out!! Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by