1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is she?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katanne555, Nov 23, 2013.

1. katanne555

katanne555 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Maine
    Hello :) I have four 5 week olds, and i noticed one of them looks very different than her sisters. She is much smaller, has a different beak shape, a straighter tail, orange-er feet, smaller feathers, and stands much taller. When we ordered our chicks, we had first sent in an order for 3 white leghorns. We cancelled the order soon after because we realized they would be too small and were afraid theyd get picked on by our other chicken. We then placed another order for 3 white plymouth rocks, and they came in later that week. But when they came, there were 4 chicks instead of 3. Now that they're older, I think maybe they gave us an extra chick of a different breed. She is definately a different breed, and I'm guessing she's probably a leghorn. I'm not sure though. Below are some pictures of her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here are what the other chicks look like
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know what breed she might be? Any help would be much appreciated :) Thank you

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might be a White Leghorn, if she's smaller than the other chicks. It will be easier to tell when she is older, as Plymouth Rocks will develop red earlobes, and White Leghorns will have white ones.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could be a White Leghorn, or just a lighter-built White Plymouth Rock. You won't really know for sure until she gets old enough to have her earlobe color develop (white = leghorn, red = rock), or begins laying (brown egg = rock, white egg = leghorn).

4. katanne555

Oct 29, 2013
    Maine
    How old are leghorns and rocks usually when they start to develop earlobes?

5. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    It depends. But I usually begin to see earlobe color when chicks are 12-16 weeks of age.

6. katanne555

Oct 29, 2013
    Maine
    Okay, thank you :) I'll make sure to look for white or red earlobes

7. katanne555

Oct 29, 2013
    Maine
    An update on Miu, she has developed white earlobes and a tall, straight tail. It's safe to say she is most likely a leghorn.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, she does look like a White Leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by