What breed is she

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by austinboy, Feb 19, 2015.

1. austinboy

austinboy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2015
    I just bought me another hen and the lady i bought her from said she bought her from mcmurray hatchery as a day old chick and they said she is araucana/Ameracauna.I then wrote the hatchery and asked them what araucana/ameracauna means and they said

Ours would be classified as Ameraucanas. We breed for a standard color and egg production. They are a mix of Araucana and other American breeds.

I dont know much about her yet except she lays blue eggs
    Here is a picture of her
    Please refrain from the word mutt I do not like that word i prefer mixed breed

I dont care what she is i am just happy for the blue eggs[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    She would be what most people call an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers are usually mixed breed birds that have Ameraucana or Araucana in their ancestry and (hopefully) lay blue/green eggs, they often have beards and cheek puffs and peacombs. Ameraucana and Araucana are breeds of chickens have to meet a physical breed standard that includes feather color as well as various other features and breeding etc, ie the Ameraucana only has eight recognized colors, though solid White does happen to be one of them. You can have a bird from ten generations of Ameraucana and if it is the wrong color or something it is then considered an Easter Egger. Here is a nice FAQ page from the Ameraucana website http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - the bird is a mixed breed/Easter Egger

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed. Murray McMurray only sells Easter Eggers, not true Ameraucanas which have slate blue legs and only lay blue eggs. In fact the only major hatchery that sells true Ameraucanas is Meyer Hatchery, which breeds Blue Ameraucanas, and they charge 5 times as much for them as they do for their Easter Eggers.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your bird is an Easter Egger. As said above, McMurray hatchery only sells Easter Eggers.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cute Easter egger. Congrats on the blue eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by