What breed is the best breed ??

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by jackrooster, May 31, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    I am wanting a dove or a pigeon.......i want to keep them outside....thats okay right?? and i want to know what kind woould be the best kind can you hold them??

2. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    anyone??

3. 2y4life

2y4life New Egg

Apr 6, 2010
    Quote:Can't really hold doves. Pigeons, you can if you spend enough time and the key is PATIENCE AND FEED. As for which kind, it all depends. Fantails are really pretty and are super tame. Same with some of the larger breeds but I assume you want a smaller pigeon?

4. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    I have a ring neck dove that I just got. He is an indoor dove but can hold him, etc. He is VERY tame and the laughing noise he makes is HILARIOUS.

5. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Hey there,

WOW, that's really tough to say which breed is THE best breed. I think it varies a lot on personal taste and what characateristics and colors you like.

I would always vote for Lahores and Indian Fantails, but Racing Homers are fun too.
    There are just so many breeds of pigeons to choose from, its almost impossible to pick. And I've heard a lot of fun stories of people adopting and taming plain old wild street pigeons who absolutely loved them. I would say just do a search on some breeds and go for which ever one sticks to your mind the most. :)

Good Luck & Have Fun with it,
    Bill.
    :)

6. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If you want something you can let out to fly, go for homers or rollers. If you want a fancy breed, I vote Indian Fantails or Oriental Frills (often called Satinettes). ANY pigeon breed can be tamed if you take the time to do so. Food is the key. Keep in mind they LOVE raw spanish peanuts (spanish because they are smaller and easier for them to swallow). It may take them a little while to get used to them, but once they get the wonderful peanutty taste, they can't get enough of them [​IMG] They also enjoy safflower and sunflower as treats. They're like us - they love junk food. The fattiest, oiliest food they can get [​IMG] LOL.
    Ringneck doves also make wonderful pets. Mine have no problem with me picking them up, and they often land on my head when I'm in the loft. The only downside to doves is you can't let them out of their cage outside. You can inside though, of course. Like parrots and parakeets, they'll get lost if let loose outside.

But regardless of which breed/species you chose, getting them as young as possible will really help in taming them. Or if you can't get young birds, then try to go for birds from breeders who handle and spend a lot of time with them.

7. mayers246

mayers246 New Egg

Jun 5, 2010
    If you don't want to fly them much, fantails would be good. They are lots of fun.

I have never had parlor rollers but that might be a good choice since they don't require much room.

8. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Racing Homers. Hands Down.

They will bond to you stronger than any other breed

Otherwise, I would go with rollers

9. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    I really like the modenas

10. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Quote:Yes, they are fairly good birds,

However, your opinion may be altered (Don't worry, this may end up being a good thing) because this is your first pigeon breed you've had

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by