1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this 5-month-old pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by canam melissa, Aug 18, 2016.

1. canam melissa

canam melissa New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    NC
    Thanks to those that helped ID my Black Sumatra. I will try to sell him rather than butcher for meat, we'll see how it goes. Now I need help with this gal. She was given to us at the same time as the Black Sumatra (at about 4 weeks old), but again, no indication of breed. We are keeping her, I'm just curious of her breed and what we might expect out of her for laying eggs when the time comes (hopefully soon...?) As you can tell, we're new at this. [​IMG] Thanks again! ~Melissa

[​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Red Shoulder Yokohama

3. canam melissa

canam melissa New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    NC
    Thanks for the quick response. She's pretty and very sweet natured, which is a good thing, from the looks of it she may not earn her keep in the egg-laying department (one a week??) But I guess when you adopt "unknowns" you get what you get. [​IMG]

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

X2. Gorgeous girl!

~Alex

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

How big is this bird? She looks too large and broad, and to me lacks the streamlined body shape and long tail. I'm leaning toward a hatchery quality white laced red Cornish. I guess it depends on her size. Yokohamas are supposed to top out around 4lbs from what I've seen.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Sorry, but I'm going to go with Gray Farms on this one--Red Shoulder Yokohama. Cornish don't have a red shouldered variety.

8. canam melissa

canam melissa New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    NC
    Thanks again everyone. After more research and comparing many more photographs, I am pretty sure she's a Red Shoulder Yokohama. The photo I posted does make her look a little broad, but she does actually have a fairly narrow body and her tail is getting longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by