What breed is this? Ameruacana or EE?

tessalace

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
I bought this bird as a chick labeled as an "ameruacana", but am now learning it may not actually be that. Any insight of the breed of my chickie? And what makes it so? I have read and read about Ameruacanas vs EE, looked at many pictures, and still don't see the difference. Also- how will I know when she should start laying? I have 5 birds total (started with 8, 3 were roosters), one has started laying and I think 3 others are about to start as well. This one has me stumped though as she doesn't have a wattle (is that the right term?). Thank you!

welcome-byc.gif

She's a pretty EE pullet. The difference is mainly the color of the bird. Ameraucans have accepted colors, and any color not accepted isn't a pure bred bird.

She doesn't look really close to laying. When they're ready to lay, the comb reddens up, usually along with the wattles. Pea combed birds like yours don't usually have much wattles, but the comb still gets redder and plumper.

I have a kind of similar looking bird..

Thank you! I'm anxious to see what color eggs she lays. I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer. It's weird she's the same age as the others, but she doesn't seem to be close to laying when they are (one is laying, others have huge red combs and are squatting). Everyone develops at their own pace, even chickens I suppose. :) thanks for helping clarify for me.

Back
Top Bottom