what breed is this and are they always so friendly?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sophie Mae, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This little girl is so friendly, she is the first one to me each day and hops on me if I am sitting. If I work around the coop I have to be very careful, she is right there pecking at tools and always under foot. Just wondering if this breed is always so friendly and what breed she is.
    Thanks

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I wish I could tell you,but maybe someone will chime in.

3. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    How old is she? She looks a lot like my exchequer leghorn, Celeste. Celeste was very friendly as a chick, then went through a kind of "wild" stage where she was still often underfoot but didn't let us touch her really, and now that she's 24 weeks old she's becoming more friendly. She is always right there by my foot when I'm out working in the yard and often "talks" to me.

[​IMG]
    Here's Celeste at about 5 weeks old.

4. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    I forgot to mention it is the black and white one, she also has spotted feet and legs

5. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    She is exactly 4 months old and they do look similar except for the spots on her feet and legs.

6. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
  7. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I does look like an exchequer leghorn. I had some and they were very friendly as chicks. My roo had yellow legs and the hen's were white. Where did you get her from?

8. AinaWGSD

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    You can't really tell in that picture, but she does have some black spotting on her legs. Not nearly as much as your girl, but there is some. A lot of the exchequers seem to have this, especially the hatchery ones.

9. Sophie Mae

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    I ordered a mixed hatch from my pet chicken, she is a single out of 25. the friendliest. They have all had the same amount of time with me but this one is not shy at all and I love it. He feet at white with black spots

10. AinaWGSD

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I bet she's an exchequer leghorn then. My girl came from MPC and I don't think any of the other breeds they carry look anything like that. I don't know if they're all that friendly, but from what I've read on here they do tend to be at least less flighty than many of the other varieties of leghorn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by