What breed is this and genetics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Teresamd, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Teresamd

Teresamd Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2013
    Hello. We have bought all our chickens from other people, except for our mutt babies we have hatched. We hatched this lil girl (I hope) and she is the wild down color. I have read up on genetics but I don't know how to tell if our females / males have the silver / gold genetics in them. Therefore, I was hoping if I told y'all what kinds of chickens I had maybe you could tell me the possible ones that made this sex link (I think) baby! She is a doll. Thank you in advance for any help!!! #Teresaisaddictedtochickens

Adult Roosters = Black Australorp, lavender Orpington, and partridge cochin

Young roosters = Rhode island red and Plymouth barred rock (too young to do anything, not even attempting to get to a female)

Hens = Plymouth barred rock, lavender Orpington, Rhode island red, black sex link, black australorp, gold stars, red sex link, and EE.

We also had a Plymouth barred rock/American mix Rooster that was barred, however, he is no longer here but could have been her daddy.

Also, she came out of a light cream colored egg that I have seen my Plymouth barred rock girls lay. Genetics is confusing, even when you try to learn it!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again!!!! TERESA

2. I could be wrong but she looks like an EE..

1 person likes this.
  3. Teresamd

Sep 14, 2013
    I was pretty sure all my EE lay green eggs. Is there a possibility that she could lay a light cream colored egg?

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Not all EE's lay green eggs as they are mutts. I have some that lay brown, white, tan, green and blue. Ameraucanas lay blue/green eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not a sex link, and I don't see anything particularly EE about this chick. This color is so, so common in chicks, several breeds have quite similar chipmunk stripes. Sounds like it's likely a mixed breed bird, you'll have to wait until it's feathered out to tell more.

Adult Roosters = Black Australorp, lavender Orpington, and partridge cochin

Young roosters = Rhode island red and Plymouth barred rock (too young to do anything, not even attempting to get to a female)

Hens = Plymouth barred rock, lavender Orpington, Rhode island red, black sex link, black australorp, gold stars, red sex link, and EE.

We also had a Plymouth barred rock/American mix Rooster that was barred, however, he is no longer here but could have been her daddy.

I can maybe rule out some parents---
    (probably) not Aussie, the black is pretty dominant and you'd have a black chick, I believe. Same for the barred rocks, even if the momma was a barred rock and the chick was female, it would still be basically black. Same for the black sex link.
    Not the cochin, no leg feathers
    Not Easter eggers
    I have no idea what lavender chicks look like, but I don't think that's it, even one parent.
    I'm leaning toward the RIR rooster as the father, could be a pure RIR chick, or mix with a red sex link.

That's my best guesses--I'd appreciate any feedback on my reasoning.

1 person likes this.
  6. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

If you play with the chicken calculator ( http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html ) you can see how the colors of your birds will interact. I think considering your breeds, that EE is probably correct, though maybe it could also maybe be one of the sex-links.

ETA: With the chicken calculator, if you create black sex links, and "continue with this female" with a RIR, you will get several possible phenotypes--not just black.

I agree, not cochin, because no feathered legs. I think the father must be the RIR--lavenders, barred and blacks would make more blacks (or lavender or barred if crossed with appropriate hen), I don't think they would make partridge. I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Teresamd

Sep 14, 2013
    Wow, and here I thought my lil roo was to young to be a daddy...we believe he's about for months old now so only would have been three months old when he fathered it....is that too young???

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  8. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, so trying the calculator one more time, I think it may have been your barred/American...
    So, not knowing what color parentage that roo is besides BR, I created BSL (red roo over barred hen), did "continue with this male" to get a rooster with one barring gene. THEN match that male with a partridge hen (assuming your EEs are partridge). That cross gives you oodles of phenotypes.

1 person likes this.
  9. That little muffed beard says EE cross! Pretty little chick. EE can lay cream colored eggs.

1 person likes this.
  10. Teresamd

Sep 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, I hadn't noticed the muffed beard so much until I looked at the pic again. I hope it is a she! I am not sure what is meant by partridge EE. I have three gray/brown EE hens, two gold/black EE hens, one white EE hen, one cream EE hen. Thanks for all the Reponses. Here is another question...... with EE can you feather sex them? This lil girl has really long wing feather and already has a tuft of feathers on her butt!!!

On a side note, here is my lil EE/silkie mix which if they can be feather sexed I believe is a hen. I know she is an EE/silkie mix cause a friend gave me the eggs. However, she does have feathered legs and 5 toes!!. I just had to show her cause she is beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by