1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed is this? and is it a rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hchorselover, Sep 24, 2010.

1. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

does anyone know what breed the black and gold one is? And are they a rooster or a hens? Which would seem like a dumb question (seeing how much different they look) but when I was looking on the internet at barred rocks and the roosters had small combs, about as small as my hens! but still I'm 90% sure it's a hen... I REALLY need to know because because we can't name them till we know [​IMG] also at what age does a rooster try to crow and what does it sound? Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    wow those are small pictures you cant even see them! how do you make them bigger (or is that just my laptop)

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Your barred rock is a hen and the gold and black is a roo. Not sure of the breed of the roo though.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:click on pictures

BR is a hen and the other neat looking one is a roo:) I have no idea what kind though some sort of mix?

5. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    I feel so dumb! [​IMG] haha i can't believe I didnt know that [​IMG]
    anyway thanks! that's what I thought I just needed reassuring [​IMG] I have no idea if it's a mix because they were both supposed to be barred rock's but that's obviously not the case

6. hchorselover

Jul 29, 2010
    just bumping this up because I still need the breed [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First is a Barred Rock. Second is simply a mutt - Looks like someone tried crossing a Gold Laced Wyandotte with something else. . .

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The cockerel is a cross of some sort. The comb looks somewhat like that of a buttercup. He is going to grow up to be a neat looking rooster.

10. bruinfan

bruinfan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    The cockrel is a mutt (I mean that in a good way!). It looks like he has olive and yellow toes in the second pic. It may be he has some EE in him. Either way enjoy them both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by