What breed is this and why is her tail pin feathers bleeding?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luvussomechicks, Dec 10, 2012.

1. luvussomechicks

luvussomechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    Well, I have this new hen. I hope it's a hen anyway. I need to know what breed is this. Plus, I found some of it's tail feathers have been pulled out. Last week, when I first visited the hen where it lived, it didn't have any tail feathers. I just thought it was normal. But when I picked it up, noticed that the tail feathers were bleeding. Is it alright? It's suppose to be an exotic breed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    That's a rooster. Don't know what would cause the bleeding, but pulling the feather out at the base will stop the bleeding. It is a little painful, but better than bleeding out.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    And it looks like a barnyard mix, handsome though. Hope you can keep him.

4. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Sorry, pretty sure that is a rooster. Probably a cross. Looks like an Easter Egger (EE).

The bleeding is not good. Maybe the tail feathers were broken or cut off in the blood line of the feather. I know small birds (parakeets) can bleed out and die from bleeding broken feathers, so you should try to stop the bleeding. For parakeets, I know that the broken feathers need to be completely removed by carefully and steadily pulling the remainder out of the bird entirely. Nrrdle nosed pliers help. I do not know what the procedure is for chickens, so research is necessary.

Hope some other reply. I'll check back.

Edit: Ah, good. TurtlePowerTrav beat me to it and he knew what to do!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Fingers or pliers will work on a chicken. I have used my fingers. Just depends on how long the feather is to grab.

6. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Yup, probably a rooster... Neck feathers are a dead giveaway... Suprised its not crowing yet

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it looks like an EE and is 110% cockerel. either pull the feathers the rest of the way out or try using some flour to help stop the bleeding

8. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    I may sound silly, but could the person who gave you the chicken have cut the feathers to make the chicken look
    more like a hen? Sorry, I'm a skeptic. Nice looking bird. Hope you figure out how to make it comfortable :>

9. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    The same thought occurred to me.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by