What breed is this baby chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mshuntjump, Feb 16, 2013.

1. mshuntjump

mshuntjump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I get my chicks from a breeder in oklahoma. We ordered Basques, Jubilee orpingtons, and splash marans. He said he would just give us this chick. He said he marked the egg wrong so it's another breed of the very many he has. He says it's not a jubilee, as it has feathered legs and is developing a rose comb. Does it look like anything familiar to anyone?
    [​IMG]

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Are you sure about the Rose Comb? Is this a large fowl chick? In my mind it most resembles a Gold Laced Cochin, but they have a straight comb.

THe breeds that I can think of off the top of my head that have feathered feet: Langshans, Faverolles, Cochin, Brahma, Sultans and some Marans, then (I think) D'Uccles and Sabelpoots. I don't know bantams well so I could be wrong on those.

Of the LF I listed, none have rose combs. The Brahma has a pea comb (which your chick sort of resembles--its pretty close actually) and the Sultans have V (which it does not) and the rest have single combs that I remember. Perhaps its a project breed or one not as common.

Do you have a list of breeds your source was breeding so we can narrow down the guesses a little?

Cute chick!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by