1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What breed is this baby chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by grahask, Feb 12, 2014.

1. grahask

grahask Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I received an order of chicks from McMurray on Monday, and 8 of the chicks disappeared in the mailing process? I am trying to decide if this is a black australorp or a "mystery chick" included with my order. It looks a bit different around the head and face than the other Australorp chicks

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Wait, you are missing eight of your chicks? I hope you called MMM and got your money refunded at the very least. I'd also ask for free shipping for your next order (might as well see if you can get it).

The chick looks like an Australorp to me. However, so many breeds look the same as chicks it's hard to tell. One thing that doesn't look like an Australorp baby to me is that the legs usually have a black wash to them, but this baby doesn't have that.

3. grahask

grahask Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    Thank you! Yes MMM refunded all of our money for the missing chicks, but we were missing a few of several different breeds, so it appears that something happened during shipping, maybe tampering by a postal employee? I am very sad about it and I don't want the minimum of 25 more, so we will just have to wait until next year. The upper legs actually do have a black wash on them, very similar to my other australorps. It just doesn't show in the pic. Hopefully, you are right. I don't really want a rare exotic chicken, especially if it turns out to be a rooster. Thanks again for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by