What Breed is this baby duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, May 10, 2011.

1. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    He came from Cackle Hatchery and is about twenty days old (give or take) and is very friendly. He loves water and is very sweet. He was part of an assortment of ducks and I would love to know his breed or gender......He seems to be feathering out in white but doesn't look like the White Pekin Ducklings that are on Cackle's website......

Him and his best friend Jeffery the White Chinese Goose:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    With the dark shadow to the face and dark beak- it almost looks like some of my very young drakes at that age- he may have some white feathers over the body- but it does look like he will have a coloured hood. Here I am calling it a he..like you did - But even though its too young to tell just by the photo..I am going to guess a female.

3. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    It kind of reminds me of my splash swedish duck. She is mostly white, dark bill color is the same. The only color is on her wings. Splash can have various amounts of coloring, so yours might have more. I believe cackle has blue swedish so there is a strong possibility. This is because with blue swedish you get 50% blue, 25% black,and 25% splash. Took me forever to find out what she was. Not many images of splash swedish it seems.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I have some buff orpington ducklings that look just like him/her. Most of mine have orange bills, but I do have 2 that have dark bills like that one.

5. easyjet23

easyjet23 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    I would say Buff Orpington Duck as well. There is a picture of ducklings on the Mcmurray hatchery website.

6. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I thought Welsh Harlequin when I first saw the picture. Then, I went to Cackle Hatchery's website, and they have Harlequins.

Our drake, the more yellow one in front, is 20 days old in this picture. The two bigger ones are a week older than the two smaller ones. All of them are Harlequins.
    [​IMG]

Here he is again at 21 days. He is the one in front.
    [​IMG]

I am not saying yours is a drake. Just wanted to show you the coloring. My vote is Harlequin. Let me know when s/he starts to feather out.

UPDATED:

Here is a picture of him that I took today. He is the one on the right. He is nine weeks old, and bigger than the one on his left. She is ten weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  7. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Cackle hatchery doesnt have buff orpington listed on their web site though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by