What breed is this Bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StephensonC, Nov 10, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I got this Bantam over the weekend and was told she is an Old English. I don't know much about Bantam's, so I'm just wondering if I was given the correct info.
    Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    She looks like a black Japanese bantam to me except for her earlobes are white. So maybe a black Dutch bantam? You can look up those breeds and see which one is closest to your girl.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She is definitely not an Old English Game, since her earlobes are white (OEG have red earlobes). My best guess is Black Dutch. Pretty hen!

1 person likes this.
  4. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Thanks everyone!! BantamLover21, I see that you breed Black Dutch Bantams. How old would you say she looks to you? Can you tell me anything about this breed, such as egg laying behavior, personality, etc.? So far she is such a sweet girl!! She's not flighty at all and always greets me with a cluck cluck. This photo doesn't do her any justice either. In better lighting, her feathers look almost like a metallic green. Very shimmery. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts with me. [​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She also looks like a likely Black Dutch to me.

6. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    You're welcome. Actually, I breed Light Brown Dutch bantams--a different variety, but still the same breed. Is your hen laying right now? She appears to either be an older hen with very well conditioned feathers, or a pullet at point of lay. It is hard to tell the age of chickens for sure.

Dutch bantams, in my experience, are very friendly, curious little birds. Mine love attention and exploring the outdoors. They aren't the greatest egg layers, but most manage a small white egg every other day (sometimes a little more often) at peak production. They tend to go broody quite readily, and are said to make good mothers. I've never let my broody hens hatch eggs before, though. so I don't know how good of broody hens they are.

7. calichicken

calichicken Chillin' With My Peeps

She's beautiful...I love the tail [​IMG]

8. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I should have done my research prior to getting her, but I'm going to blame it on chicken math...lol Today only makes 3 days that I've had her, and she hasn't laid yet. Which I am guessing could be due to stress of a new home, or either she hasn't reached laying age yet. What should I feed her? She doesn't seem to care much for the layer crumbles that I give to my standard hens. Should I be feeding her something totally different?

9. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Feeding her layer feed is fine. That is what I feed all of my Dutch bantams most of the time. If she won't eat layer feed, though, you could try a starter, grower, or gamebird feed.

1 person likes this.
  10. StephensonC

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by