What breed is this Banty hen?

janelle18

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Just got this hen dropped off. I wasn't around when she got dropped off and I said to just leave her in the barn. I couldn't find her for forever and finally it occurred to me to look up!

Any idea what breed she is! I put her in a pen with my 9 week old chicks and she is much smaller than all of them!

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
10 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
She looks very similar to the one in your picture!

Do OEG lay very many eggs/often?

I don't know what to expect from this girl!
No OEG don't lay a lot of eggs, usually, although they can be productive over a short season. They are mostly ornamental birds having been traditionally been bred to be game (birds shot for sport). As a bantam she will lay very small eggs.

However, they usually make great broodies and can have very fun and interesting personalities (although a bit more flighty than your regular chicken liking to roost in trees and such).
big_smile.png

Lady of McCamley

janelle18

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
No OEG don't lay a lot of eggs, usually, although they can be productive over a short season. They are mostly ornamental birds having been traditionally been bred to be game (birds shot for sport). As a bantam she will lay very small eggs.

However, they usually make great broodies and can have very fun and interesting personalities (although a bit more flighty than your regular chicken liking to roost in trees and such).:D

Lady of McCamley

Thanks! It would be funny if she went broody , she would only be able to sit on 1 or 2 eggs!

Top Bottom