What breed is this barred baby?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mphsgal, Feb 3, 2017.

1. mphsgal

mphsgal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    Nowhere can I find a pic of a bright yellow chick with black "chipmunk" striping, which is turning to black & white barring. Legs are orange, no feathering, 3 toes. No comb growth yet. It's a two-week-old "adopt me" from Meyer Hatchery. TIA!
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That's not barring. That's juvenile partridge type feathering. Looks like a possible Easter Egger at this point.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a decoy! Agree that's not barring, but it sure fools a lot of folks. The bird is probably going to be a partridge type coloring. You'll have to post again when it's around 6 weeks and fully feathered.

4. mphsgal

mphsgal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks. The legs are blue, not yellow (oops). If this is an EE it's probably the extra chick as I counted 15 EEs not including this one. Last order I only got 2 breeds, this time I counted 6 breeds in the 11 ADOPT-ME babies! Driving myself batty trying to figure them out LOL.

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When you said blue legs, you had me thinking Fayoumis and maybe I was wrong about the barring...but the chicks don't look the same.

How cool with these adopt me packages, though, it could be literally anything!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    are the "adopt me" packages all pure breeds or barnyard mixes?

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    they're purebreds. they're the late hatchers, when they clean out the incubators and had "leftovers" that just took a bit longer. You can get any breed of chicken, and I think ducks or turkeys, right? Straight run, of course, but the guess the breed game is a lot of fun. And you can get some pretty rare breeds for a low price....or you might get EE cockerels [​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like an Easter Egger to me, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by