What breed is this beautiful boy of mine?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VintageLilFarm, Dec 30, 2012.

1. VintageLilFarm

VintageLilFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    The Great Northwest
    In the batch (of 2 year olds) I got him with are Barred Rocks, Aracauna, Orpingtons and RIRs. I know he is not BR, Orp and RIR -- do you think he is an Araucana?

[​IMG]

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    He is a beautiful Americana! Lovely!

3. VintageLilFarm

Dec 30, 2012
    The Great Northwest
    Yay! Thank you! I was hoping so!

Now if I can keep my Barred Rock boy away from my Americana or Araucana(?) hens, maybe I can hatch some babies who will lay green and blue eggs:)

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    (It's spelled Ameraucana)

You have an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. They are not the same, although they are similar.
    The main difference is that there are 8 recognized colors and yours isn't one of them.

He's beautiful, though, and may carry the blue egg gene, so if you breed him the babies would lay a colorful egg, hopefully.

5. VintageLilFarm

Dec 30, 2012
    The Great Northwest
    Aren't EE also sort of the "mutt" of the strain of Ameraucanas? I guess we'll see about the eggs in a year or so:) Thank you!

6. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

the easter eggers are any bird that carries the blue egg gene, but doesn't conform to any breed standard, and doesn't breed true at least 50% of the time. that means if you were to get two differently colored ameraucanas, and mix them, their offspring would be considered easter eggers.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pretty easter egger roo.
    You could put him with those barred rock hens and have sex link chick. The hens would be mostly black but probably have beards and muffs.
    Or put the barred rock roo over the easter egger hens and you won't get sex links, but you could get barred easter eggers. Those are always cool.

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    They are. There isn't anything wrong with them - they're very beautiful and much cheaper than purebreds. I have 2 and they're friendly and good layers.

9. Doubleyolker

Doubleyolker Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Beautiful bird. If I could only have a roo . He would sure pretty up the yard!

10. VintageLilFarm

Dec 30, 2012
    The Great Northwest
    Thank you so much, this is all very helpful. So I guess if I can figure out the difference between my BR eggs and my RIRs, I could incubate the eggs , plus those from my EE's and come out with something cool, no matter which roo "sponsored" the eggs:).

I found a spur from one of my roos in the coop so was trying to pick him up to check him out. He freaked out and started trying to spur me. That's the first time that has happened. I had to use a stick on him a couple times before he would totally back down. Now he's staying his distance, which I guess is for the best. But I had hoped both of my keeper roos would be good pets:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by