What breed is this beautiful boy of mine?

Yay! Thank you! I was hoping so!

Now if I can keep my Barred Rock boy away from my Americana or Araucana(?) hens, maybe I can hatch some babies who will lay green and blue eggs:)

(It's spelled Ameraucana)

You have an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. They are not the same, although they are similar.
The main difference is that there are 8 recognized colors and yours isn't one of them.

He's beautiful, though, and may carry the blue egg gene, so if you breed him the babies would lay a colorful egg, hopefully.

the easter eggers are any bird that carries the blue egg gene, but doesn't conform to any breed standard, and doesn't breed true at least 50% of the time. that means if you were to get two differently colored ameraucanas, and mix them, their offspring would be considered easter eggers.

Pretty easter egger roo.
You could put him with those barred rock hens and have sex link chick. The hens would be mostly black but probably have beards and muffs.
Or put the barred rock roo over the easter egger hens and you won't get sex links, but you could get barred easter eggers. Those are always cool.

Thank you so much, this is all very helpful. So I guess if I can figure out the difference between my BR eggs and my RIRs, I could incubate the eggs , plus those from my EE's and come out with something cool, no matter which roo "sponsored" the eggs:).

I found a spur from one of my roos in the coop so was trying to pick him up to check him out. He freaked out and started trying to spur me. That's the first time that has happened. I had to use a stick on him a couple times before he would totally back down. Now he's staying his distance, which I guess is for the best. But I had hoped both of my keeper roos would be good pets:(

Back
Top Bottom