What Breed is This Black Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Erin~TheChickenLover, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    This is a hen (she lays a light brown egg). She is black and has a pretty green sheen to her feathers. Her legs are gray. She has a huge red single comb and waddle for a hen and red ear lobes. I believe she is about 4 years old and was one of the chickens that we rescued. She is a LF not a bantam. Any ideas what she may be?

I can never figure out how to put pictures on here, so this is the link to see her.

[​IMG]

2. Erin~TheChickenLover

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Oh, hey the picture showed up! Yay! [​IMG]

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Astroloupe (sp)

4. Erin~TheChickenLover

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Thanks for your reply! I was wondering if she might be one! [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    She looks like an Australorp. [​IMG] They're amazing birds, btw. I love them.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Check the color on the bottom of the feet. Yellow = Jersey Giant, pinkish/white=Australorp.

7. Erin~TheChickenLover

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Thanks for all your help! [​IMG] I will be sure to watch when she walks...I can't recall what color the bottoms of her feet are.

8. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I am new to chickens but my two Australorp's legs are black. Are they varied depending on the the breed's genes?

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:The legs and tops of the toes of both Australorps and Jersey Giants will be black. It's the underside of the feet that you look at to determine the difference particularly in young birds. Overall size will also be a telltale between the two breeds but if you don't have both, it's really hard to compare.

10. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:The legs and tops of the toes of both Australorps and Jersey Giants will be black. It's the underside of the feet that you look at to determine the difference particularly in young birds. Overall size will also be a telltale between the two breeds but if you don't have both, it's really hard to compare.

Oops! I realize now that I wasn't specific regarding leg color. What I meant was, the grey legs (that the OP's chicken has) verses black legs. [​IMG]

So do Australorp's leg color vary from black to grey depending on the breed's genes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by