What breed is this blue frizzle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Zaxby's2, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Today we went to go trade in a polish rooster for a hen, and when we saw that they also had frizzles we couldn't resist. [​IMG] It was in with two other frizzles. One of them looked almost like a mature adult rooster, but if it was then it would have had to be a bantam because of it's size. It was blue with red on it's back(it had the coloring of a black copper maran except instead of black it had blue). The other one was completely blue and looked a lot like the one we got, but it had a bigger comb and we didn't know if it was a rooster or not, so we went with the one that was a definite hen, the one we bought. I'm either assuming that the completely blue one with a bigger comb is either a young rooster, or a mature hen and that they're all around laying age. I think that they had a mature rooster in with a young pair. All of them had feathered feet. Sorry I put so much into detail I'm just trying to help you guys out. So here's are new pullet. I'm guessing standard blue frizzled cochin? She looks like she would have good leg feathering but it looks like it got pulled out while she was with the other frizzles.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here she is next to an 11 week old standard dominique:
    [​IMG]
    So what I want to know is breed and age, and if she's standard or bantam. Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I don't think that's a cochin. Maybe very little Cochin in the mix. Cochins have very heavy foot feathering and a cushion tail. Frizzles come in every breed. It's a mutant gene in the feathering. I'm not really sure of the breed of your chick, but she sure is pretty. Cochins also have a single comb and yellow feet.

3. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    its blue and a frizzle but maybe onlypart cochin because it has foot feathering. but cochins have yellow skin and feet with single combs. what kins of comb does it have?

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I think female silkie mix frizzle, bantam size.

5. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    She's got a single comb, and although she doesn't have heavy foot feathering the frizzle that looked just like her did, and you can't tell in the pics, but it looks like she had some of her foot feathers pulled out, making it look like she wasn't heavily feathered. Also don't blue, black, and splash cochins have black legs? With most breeds those colors calls for different leg coloration.

6. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Just checked out the Cochin thread. It turns out they do have yellow legs, making my pullet something else. [​IMG] Oh, and those who wonder if she has silkie in her because of her black comb it's just because she has a really small comb and it hasn't turned red yet.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Maybe she is a sizzle. A frizzle Cochin/silkie mix??? I've never seen black eyes on a chick either. My cochins foot feathering is very sturdy. They must of been very determined to get the foot feathers off. She could be a sizzle! That would be really neat!

8. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I don't know, but that would be cool. [​IMG] What makes you say silkie cross? Oh, and any ideas on age or whether she's standard or bantam? Thanks for all the replies so far! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  9. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Okay now after some research I'm thinking frizzle blue copper maran bantam pullet. Does this seem maybe right?

10. Zaxby's2

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Anyone else? Maybe a blue frizzle maran standard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by