What breed is this broody???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenHooked, Mar 24, 2015.

1. ChickenHooked

ChickenHooked New Egg

Mar 25, 2013
    Hi all! Hopefully you can help me - I am going crazy here. Not a big deal, just one of those things... I have Australorps In my flock that are almost 2 years old, and also added 2 black copper marans (among others) as day olds last June. All are hens/pullets. The bcms were purchased from MPC and never had any copper on them. Pure black. Clean legs. Also had smallish combs. Once they were intermingled with the older flock I had difficulty distinguishing the bcms from the 'lorps. I "believe" I lost a bcm last month - died in the nest box and I didn't want to see it, so hubby took care of it. He said there was very little/no comb, so I assumed it was a bcm, leaving me with just one. The other day we noticed a broody hen. Set her up in a basement broody breaker. Problem: it's either my 9-month old bcm or a 2 year old Australorp. Can you help? I'll try to attach photos. Total newbie to this site. Thx!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Does your broody have a single comb? If she does then it's probably the Australorp. [​IMG]

3. ChickenHooked

ChickenHooked New Egg

Mar 25, 2013
    I thought both the marans and the Australorps have single combs... Now I'm totally confused. To make it even more weird my broody has a small, kinda pea-like comb, as seen in the pic.:th

4. wyandottegirl

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Do you have any cross's in your flock? Oops I forgot that you said you had some marans.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. ChickenHooked

ChickenHooked New Egg

Mar 25, 2013
    I have many other chickens; can differentiate between all except the totally black ones. My black sex-links have the brown in their necks. Just the marans and Australorps are all black.

6. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks just like the Black Australorp I had.

7. ChickenHooked

ChickenHooked New Egg

Mar 25, 2013
    The comb is throwing me off - are the marans or the Australorps more likely to have a comb like that? This may be a better pic of her comb:

[​IMG]

I'm leaning to my 9 month old maran...

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Her comb is wrong for either an Australorp or a Marans. I'm leaning towards her being the Australorp.

9. wyandottegirl

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I have an Australorp cross that has a rose comb. So I'm probably leaning towards the Australorp.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She is not a purebred Australorp or Marans, but may be a mix of one of those breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by