1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this? Can you help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eLiz423, Jun 3, 2016.

1. eLiz423

eLiz423 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Not sure he looks like a Muscovy? The grey and spotted chest one, what are your opinions? I have 2pekin ducks both females. 2mallards a boy and girl and I am questioning what the grey one might be consider? The boy mallard with the green head and the grey spotted chest one is a boy. 2boys 3females
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's not a Muscovy. Mallard derived of some sort - possibly a crossbred.

3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    In the picture it looks dark but since you called it grey I'm going to guess it's a Blue Swedish, though the markings wouldn't be considered show quality. But that would only matter if you are showing it or breeding to breed standard. It could also be a crossbreed, but it defiantly has some Swedish in it.

All in all a very handsome boy. [​IMG]

4. eLiz423

eLiz423 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Here's another picture [​IMG]
    Here's my 2boys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may be a mismarked blue Swedish or a crossbred. I had similarly colored offspring from a Rouen/Pekin cross.

6. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Do you have a picture @sourland ? Would love to see so we can compare.

@eLiz423 where did you get them? I'm thinking it was from a feed store. It that's the case I'm thinking there's a better chance you got a mismarked Swedish rather than a crossbreed. Hatcheries aren't as concerned about breeding to standard but they do generally keep the different breeds separate. Or at least they should try really hard.

7. eLiz423

eLiz423 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Yes got these guys from Tractor Supply. Can you see him better in those pictures above?

So my crested Pekin brood a duckling that has the same kind of markings of this guy but crested. This is very exciting. Here is a picture of the baby on day 1. I will try to get a better picture of it as soon as I can

[​IMG]

8. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, it looks like a mismarked blue swedish :D

9. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Look at that little poof! So cute.

Yes this pictures show his color better. My opinion is still that he is a Blue Swedish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by