What breed is this chick? Guessing Lakenvelder x silkie? Picture

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lonnyandrinda, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    We bought some lakenvelder hatching eggs at auction for cheap just for fun, only 2/9 hatched. The first one came out as expected, the second had a hard time of hatching and I had to help him out at the end. Then I just had to laugh- he looks nothing like his sibling! Given the head bump and feathered legs/toes, I am guessing he is a Lakenvelder/silkie cross? The egg certainly looked like the other lakenvelder eggs. But he only has 4 toes, not 5, so I am guessing he got that from his Lakenvelder momma.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Silkie for sure, not sure about the lakenvelder

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    maybe not a lakenvelder or a silkie, as both these breeds have grey to black legs and this chick does not. And for being a silkie cross it shouldnt have that much feather on the legs. If it had 5 toes, I would say a sultan and they lay white eggs and chicks look like that. Can you ask the person you got the eggs from what breeds they have?

4. lonnyandrinda

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Nope, bought at auction not even sure if I could track the person down if I wanted to. Guess I'll just have to wait and see as it grows up! Off to look at sultan chick pictures...

5. lonnyandrinda

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Oh wow, yes it does look like a sultan chick so maybe the person got the eggs mixed up when he was packing them! But Sultans are supposed to have 5 toes, too? So I'm guessing it is a mix still!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by