What breed is this chick? Originally owner thought it was a wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nkkennedy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. nkkennedy

nkkennedy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Hello!

I adopted four little guys yesterday, all about 2 months old. I am having some trouble figuring out the breed of this little one in particular.

The women whom I adopted them from was thinking that it was a silver laced or black wyandotte. Apparently when it was younger it was more gray/ peppery looking.

After some research I found that most Wyandottes have yellow legs and a rose comb. I did find that some black or silver laced wyandotte hens can have grayish black legs. This chick also has a green sheen to his/her black feathers.

What do you think? Can anyone tell if its a girl or boy? I am still new chickens :)

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

These are the other three. I am thinking the white one is an easter egger (Ameraucana mix) because of her green legs and pea comb. The other two are definitely barred rocks. If anyone is able to tell the sexes that would be great :) You can see one of the barred rocks better in the second photo. The one is the middle of this photo does have some longer droopy feathers (you can see in the 3rd picture) in the tail. I know its technically still hard to tell and this is not a good picture ( they never stay still enough!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture below is my whole flock. The white one on your right towards back is the new girl. it probably the only good shot I have of her:

[​IMG]

Thanks!!!!

2. White ones are Easter Eggers. The black on is a Black Australorp. The blackish grey ones are Plymouth Rocks/Barred Rock. All pullets Black one could be rooster.

3. nkkennedy

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Thank you for you insight!

4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Is it the white one you have a question on? You would need a closer shot of her. Some "splash" dottes can be white and may not have totally yellow legs do to inter breeding from some breeders in the country. I know our B/B/S dottes have legs we're trying to improve-but we purchased them knowing that fault needed fixed. The black one is not a dott.

5. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Is it the white one you have a question on? You would need a closer shot of her. Some "splash" dottes can be white and may not have totally yellow legs do to inter breeding from some breeders in the country. I know our B/B/S dottes have legs we're trying to improve-but we purchased them knowing that fault needed fixed. The black one is not a dott.

6. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Agreed.

7. nkkennedy

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Hey!

My main question was about the little black chick at the top of my post. I also posted a picture of the little white one, whom which I think is just an easter egger due to thew green legs and pea comb. I do see little light spots of beige on her as well. Here are some better pictures:

[​IMG]

I think she is a female easter egger.

8. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Ya easter egger.

9. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Agreed-the new picture helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by