1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by js9689, Mar 17, 2017.

1. js9689

js9689 New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    June Park, FL
    This chick is just a little over three weeks old, and was bought from Tractor Supply with Rhode Island red pullets. It has a different color and a different pattern from the Rhode Island Reds, and it has darker more brownish legs. Ive looked through a million chick pictures, and cannot find this one. I'll also post a picture of one of the those island reds it was bought with. Thanks![​IMG]

2. js9689

js9689 New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    June Park, FL
    [​IMG]

3. js9689

js9689 New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    June Park, FL
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the rhode island reds for comparison.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry I don't know what it is but, at 6 - 8 weeks - I think it will show what it really is.

5. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Possibly a golden laced Wyandotte. Or a mutt...

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There are a few different breeds that can look like this at that age - as the bird matures in the next 2-4 weeks it will become more clear which this one is. I can say it is not a Gold Laced Wyandotte as the pattern in the feathering and emerging comb type are both incorrect for that breed.

7. jcoz

jcoz Just Hatched

Oct 26, 2016
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    It's a hawk trying to infiltrate the coop! That chick wasn't just dropped off at the door of the coop was it? [​IMG] My reds were red red. I have a friend (yes i have one) that got RIRs from Tractor Supply, but as they grew up the looked very much like New Hampshires, which its what they are in his case. Lookin like a roo too IMO.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  8. bantamboi

bantamboi New Egg

Mar 16, 2014
    florida
    probably an easter egger- a lot of them have lovely patterns like that, and they're a popular feed store item.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by