What breed is this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by birdieboy13, Apr 24, 2017.

1. birdieboy13

birdieboy13 Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    All,
    Can you help me identify this breed? I know it is a brown egg layer but that's it.
    [​IMG]

2. Ugadano

Ugadano Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    SW Oklahoma
    Following. I have EEs and Brown leghorns that are similar, but they (mine) most likely won't lay brown. I know other breeds may also start out like this, so I'm eager to see what everyone thinks.

3. birdieboy13

birdieboy13 Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    I'm thinking this is an Ameracauna? Anyone agree?

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Not an Ameruacana, its legs are yellow. Also if it is a brown egg layer it definitely is not since they lay green/blue eggs. Where did you get it?

5. SJWit

SJWit Just Hatched

Feb 28, 2017
    I picked up these girls this morning, one-day old, hatchery delivered to my feed store.

Supposed to be Ameracauna pullets. Would love an expert opinion. Thanks! :)

[​IMG]

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Look like Easter Eggers, almost always sold as Ameraucanas.

7. birdieboy13

birdieboy13 Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    I got these from my local feed store on Martha's Vineyard. I asked the store owner and they felt like the chick might be an Ameracauna. They said they sometimes make there way in. Typically they only sell hearthy, winter birds that lay brown eggs.
    Any thoughts on what it might be if not the Ameracauna?

8. JurassicBawk

JurassicBawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2016
    Hixson, TN
    If they sold that chick as an Ameracauna, it is very likely an Easter Egger. Basically any time you get an Ameracauna/Americana/Araucana from a feed store, it's a good 'ol Easter Egger or mutt. Purebred Araucanas have ear tuffs, slate legs, very specific colorations, lay very blue eggs, will cost many times more than the average chick, and must come from a reputable breeder as your average feed store will never get their hands on them. Easter Eggers and mixes of any of the above breeds can have tuffs or no tuffs, muffs or no muffs, different combs, any colored legs, and any color combination. They can also lay a wide range of egg colors from off-white to pink to green to blue to brown. I bought "Ameracauna" sexed pullets from my local feed store last year, and ended up with 4 Easter Eggers, one of them a rooster. I lost one, rehomed the rooster, and got 2 more from a local farm, and love them all dearly. They lay gray, blue, and mint green eggs, and all look completely different. Two have muffs, one has tuffs and muffs, one has tiny waddles, and they range in size from 5 pounds to 8 pounds. All have slate colored legs and iridescent green/red ears. If I had to guess on all the chicks pictured in this thread, I'd say they have the standard Easter Egger chipmunk coloring, but the yellow legs and lack of muffs is throwing me off. The one chick in the corner of the cardboard box looks a bit muffy, but I can't really tell. Found this on another thread when I was looking for more info to give you, and thought I'd post it here:
    Quote:

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  9. MCRanch

MCRanch New Egg

Apr 27, 2017
    Tennessee
    Looks like you have Easter Eggers! Commonly sold as Ameraucanas because they lay blue/ green eggs. Sometimes sellers change up the spelling, making it that much more confusing when you're trying to learn this stuff. I fell into the Ameraucana trap and ended up with Easter Eggers but, they are great chickens! My favorites as a matter of fact!

Ameraucanas are usually harder to sex and have more solid colors and fall into one of these varieties: black, blue, blue wheaten, brown red, buff, silver, wheaten and white. You can learn more about breed standards here: http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/standard.html

You can find more pictures of what Ameraucanas look like on the same site here: http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html

10. birdieboy13

birdieboy13 Just Hatched

Apr 24, 2017
    Are Orpington's typically white? I have two that I think are buffs but not a stitch of brown at 5 weeks old. [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by