What breed is this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sphinx, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have no idea what this chick could be. I believe it's a pullet. Hatched out of a light brown egg.

It is supposed to be a golden laced wyandotte, but I can pretty safely assume that's NOT what it is. I'm not even convinced it's part GLW. It is very, very close to 6 weeks old.

What do you think? Do you think it's a pullet, as I do? What breed would you guess?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

looks like a poor quality gold lace... I am also thinking pullets...

3. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Ooh, I like that I got the bonus gender check on the other chick. I'm hoping for pullet for both. I already rehomed their brothers, who had much more obvious combs and wattles. The darker chick has some wattles, but nothing like their brothers, so I'm hoping for two pullets.

The back one I feel is a GLW, but I'm certain it's not show quality. I didn't pay for it, and was not promised that, so I'm happy as long as it is identifiable as a GLW.

It's the brownish hen that I question.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The darker one is a GLW, hatchery quality (ie poor lacing). She may surprise you and fill out nicer lacing when she's fully mature however.

The lighter one is a production red. I don't see any signs of roo-ness yet. She'll bury you in eggs when she gears up for laying

5. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Pele, she was a pale yellow when hatched- I thought production reds were usually more chipmunky?

Here she was at hatch:
    [​IMG]

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
  7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Isn't that the truth. [​IMG]

The production red was bred to be a smaller, friendlier version of the Rhode Island Red, and to be more for egg production and less of a dual-purpose chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by