What breed is this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RN1159, Apr 13, 2012.

1. RN1159

RN1159 New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Yesterday we picked up 5 Black Australorp chicks that we ordered through our local farm supply store. We quickly noticed that 4 are very similar to each other with a lot of yellow and white on their chest and underside and all around their eyes. The 5th one looks different and does not have much yellow at all – just barely under her bum. She also has a white spot directly on top of her head that the 4 don't have. And her beak and legs seem to be different. I’m wondering if the different one could be a barred rock? Or something else? I know it’s kinda early to tell, but she already looks and acts so different from the rest. The 4 will jump right into my hand and cuddle, but the 5th is so skittish. I'm attaching some pics. Any input would be appreciated! [​IMG]

Top of all 5 - arrow pointing to the oddball with the spot:
    [​IMG]

Two of the "4":
    [​IMG]

The 5th - oddball:
    [​IMG]

Oddball again, under red arrow:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think perhaps you've been slipped a barred rock, or perhaps a dom. Barred rocks are wonderful!! My lead hen is an australorp and her BFF is a barred rock. [​IMG]

3. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    It could either be a Barred Plymouth Rock, or just a different looking Black Australorp.

4. RN1159

RN1159 New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    I'm kinda hoping it's just a different looking Australorp. We've only ever had Barred Rocks and we were looking forward to trying something new. Oh well, a mix of both would be something new! Thanks!!

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    It could be a Barred Rock, a Dominique, or a Black sex link.

6. Tombrewster421

Tombrewster421 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    WA
    [​IMG][​IMG]It's also possible that it's a rooster. We got a few barred rocks last year and after a few weeks we noticed that one wasn't quite as dark as the others. A little while longer the comb and wattles were noticeably more red. Turned out to be a rooster, which is ok where we live. We actually just had one of the hens hatch our first chicks this year.

7. RN1159

RN1159 New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Do any of you have experience with the personalities of Dominigue and Black Sex Link? Like I mentioned we've only ever had Barred Rock since we started keeping chickens 4 years ago. I looked up pictures of Black Sex Link chicks and it looks like only the males have the spot on the head. Oh no! We can't have roos in our neighborhood. But ours also looks similar to the Barred Rock and Dominique chick pictures....I guess we shall have to wait and see. Thanks for your pics Tombrewster. Are the babies in the 2nd picture Barred Rock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by