what breed is this chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickengr, Nov 4, 2016.

1. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    hi,
    I got her as araucana/ameraucana mix but these big wattles say no. looks a bit like wyandotte but her comb is different than GLW I have. her legs are whitish. she might have been hatched from the green egg. the person I got her from keeps rumpless araucanas and ameraucanas together so all of his birds are mix of these 2 breeds. it does happen that some of the chickens escape and pay a visit to the other breeds.

here she is:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's a barnyard mix.

that comb is basically a rose comb, just not a very good one, or quite possibly showing mixed breeding. Not sure what Aracauna or Ameraucana look like in your country.....white skin is a dominant trait, as is the rose comb. Basically, looks like you've got a pretty accident [​IMG]

3. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    my araucanas
    [​IMG]

ameraucana (pic from internet):
    [​IMG]

my araucana/ameraucana mix (rumpless with beard):
    [​IMG]

the mystery bird's skin is yellow but the front (upper part) of her legs is whitish. she comes from a place with different pure breeds but I think the only breeds with rose combs are wyandottes and the rosecomb bantam. she is LF.

I am not familiar with rose combs. is it possible that she is a cross of pea comb and some other type of comb so the result is a rose comb? sorry for being ignorant.

btw, I agree she is a pretty accident. I hope she will start laying soon so I will see the colour of her eggs.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

Not from my understanding. Pea and rose are both dominant, so you can't get one from the other. Mixing the two I think gives a cushion comb? Not positive on that, I've not worked with many rose combed birds. I did have a Rock/Wyandotte mix cockerel that had a comb pretty much like your lady...

[​IMG]

I agree it will be interesting to see what color eggs she lays. Green would be nice [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pretty barnyard mix

6. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I am not an english speaker so my understanding of the barnyard mix is just any non heritage bird mix. that's why I explained she is a mix of 2 heritage breeds. if barnyard mix means 2 heritage breed's mix that's what she is.

btw, I would like to know the meaning of the barnyard mix and mutt. at the moment I think they both are non heritage birds (what we call country birds that can be any size, colour, etc. and don't breed true).

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Most generally crossbreds are often referred to as barnyards, barnyard birds, barnyard mixes, mutts etc... And mean they are either mixes of purebreds or mixes of mixes. These birds are most generally very hardy birds and good layers.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Very pretty bird, love her color.

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I understand what your asking....Yes....Your Bird is Ameruacana crossed with another breed of Chicken.....Whick makes it an Ameruacana cross or mix...

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  10. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    it is not a mystery any more. she laid a brown egg. I guess she is a wyandotte cross as only wyandottes at the breeder I got her from have rose combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by