What breed is this cockerel?

willowtreeaviary

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
I've suspected for the last week or so that this one was a cockerel, but now I'm sure he is, with those tuffs on either side of his face (is there is a technical term for those?) and those emerging spindles. I am excited to have a second male in the flock, but now I have to wait and see how the established Black-and-Gold Ameraucana rooster takes to him. Even though I know the young one is a cockerel, I don't know what breed he is, and I'm hoping you fine folks here on the forum can identify him for me. Thanks in advance.

57648_jsw_dscn4310_edited.jpg

57648_jsw_dscn4308_edited.jpg

Here's a pic of my black Cayuga drake, included just to brag on him - enjoy!

57648_jsw_dscn4303_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Looks just like my little EE`s. Mine are AustralorpXBlack Ameraucana and are all black with the blue/green/purple shimmers to their feathers. I do have a 9 week old with a few random brown splotches (the same colour as yours) poking through. How old is yours now, and did he have the brown feathers early on?
I am liking the little bit of variety in my gang
smile.png

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

EE Cockeral! Odd color - but a very handsome boy!

Why, thanks! Yeah, I'm quite proud of him. I just hope he gets along with the established rooster -- I'd hate to have to part with him. What would you call that pattern? I'm still new to chickens, so I'm learning, for example, that there are marans, then there are cuckoo marans (maran is the breed, cuckoo is the patterning). Also, when you say "Easter Egger", is that an example of what's called "sex link"? Thanks, Kerry​

Mrs. Feathers :

Looks just like my little EE`s. Mine are AustralorpXBlack Ameraucana and are all black with the blue/green/purple shimmers to their feathers. I do have a 9 week old with a few random brown splotches (the same colour as yours) poking through. How old is yours now, and did he have the brown feathers early on?
I am liking the little bit of variety in my gang
smile.png

Thanks for the reply, Mrs. Feathers. So my little guy's an Easter Egger, huh? Yours sound beautiful! And I'm looking forward to adding an Australorp to my flock. My cockerel pictured in this thread is about four months old, I'd say, and, yeah, he always had this basic pattern, though it does seem to be strengthening as he ages. What would you call this pattern? Variety in the gang is fun, isn't it? Cheers, Kerry​

Quote:
Why, thanks! Yeah, I'm quite proud of him. I just hope he gets along with the established rooster -- I'd hate to have to part with him. What would you call that pattern? I'm still new to chickens, so I'm learning, for example, that there are marans, then there are cuckoo marans (maran is the breed, cuckoo is the patterning). Also, when you say "Easter Egger", is that an example of what's called "sex link"? Thanks, Kerry

Um ... maybe black partridge??? I dunno what you call EE patterns?

Quote:
Why, thanks! Yeah, I'm quite proud of him. I just hope he gets along with the established rooster -- I'd hate to have to part with him. What would you call that pattern? I'm still new to chickens, so I'm learning, for example, that there are marans, then there are cuckoo marans (maran is the breed, cuckoo is the patterning). Also, when you say "Easter Egger", is that an example of what's called "sex link"? Thanks, Kerry

Easter Egger is basically a chicken that carries the "blue egg" gene but is not a particular breed like the Araucana or Ameraucana. Basically a "mutt" that lays blue, green or I think pink eggs.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Mrs. Feathers. So my little guy's an Easter Egger, huh? Yours sound beautiful! And I'm looking forward to adding an Australorp to my flock. My cockerel pictured in this thread is about four months old, I'd say, and, yeah, he always had this basic pattern, though it does seem to be strengthening as he ages. What would you call this pattern? Variety in the gang is fun, isn't it? Cheers, Kerry

Hopefully as mine gets a little older he will get more of the brown too. Yours is very handsome and I hope it works out that you are able to keep him. I have no idea what you would call the pattern. I do love the surprises that come with EE`s though!

Back
Top Bottom