What Breed is This Cutey?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mike26342, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Mike26342

Mike26342 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    I need to know as him and six others came free of charge with the barred rocks I ordered. Once I know what he is I can put him and his buddies up for a new home.
    [​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Production Red

3. Mike26342

Mike26342 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    As in Rhode Island Red?

4. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    No a Production red is not a RIR they are almost always labeled to be "RIR" by hatcheries or feed stores.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Might be a Rhode Island Red, Production Red, or other "red" breed/breed mix. Productions Reds aren't Rhode Island Reds. They are crosses of red birds that often lay a lot of eggs and look similar to a Rhode Island Red (but lighter in coloration).

6. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Looks just like my Rhode Island Red rooster when he was a chick. He was one of the packing peanuts.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Hatcheries will sometimes call Production Reds "Rhode Island Reds," but they are different. The Production Reds lay more eggs.

8. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    I don't think that production reds are sexlinks. Red sexlinks are also called red stars among other names.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Production reds are different than sex links. Production reds are generic red birds, both male and female, from RIR and New Hampshire and who knows what other stock, just a dependable layer that's red. Sex links are a one time cross where the females are red/gold and the males are white/silver.

This chick looks to be a production red, and is likely male. If you're selling them, just advertise them as hatchery red birds.

10. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    quote name="donrae" url="/t/841322/what-breed-is-this-cutey#post_12437201"]Production reds are different than sex links. Production reds are generic red birds, both male and female, from RIR and New Hampshire and who knows what other stock, just a dependable layer that's red. Sex links are a one time cross where the females are red/gold and the males are white/silver.

This chick looks to be a production red, and is likely male. If you're selling them, just advertise them as hatchery red birds.
    [/quote]

Ugh that's right !I feel so stupid now .-.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by