1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed is this Duck? (Pictures!)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Moonlitesweetie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Moonlitesweetie

Moonlitesweetie New Egg

Jan 14, 2009
    I have a 8 month old duck that I am curious as to what breed he is.

He is an average sized duck, that appears to be fully black..however his head and some feathers near his wings shine green in the light. He has a white chest that extends into a line up the under side of his neck and stops where the bill begins. The bill I can describe as a "light olive" color with black mottling. The underside of the bill is a regular tan/orange color. The feet are orange with black spots as well. The wings are tipped with white feathers and the underside of the wings as well as a few stray feathers on his body are "brindle" color. What is he?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    muscovy cross, look a the beaver like tail and the top of the bill.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    He looks similar to my Black Swedish. When they were younger they had white in their wings and less black on the chests. I thought they were Muscovies for the first 6 months of their lives, til I posted their pics here and everyone told me what they really were lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I agree. Black Swedish.

Cute one, too!

5. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks close to a Black Swedish- but I think he is a cross. Probably a Pekin x Mallard, or some thing simular. I do not think it is a Muscovy cross. When you cross Pekins and Rouens you get a Black and White duck.

I think he is probably crossed with mallard- because he looks smaller than our swedish ducks. He has white wings, our swedish have dark wings. The shape of his forehead is more sloped like a mallard than rounded like a swedish.

Randy www.spectrumranch.net & www.sosranch.net

Heritage Auction dates Feb 26-28, 2009 see websites for details
    Antiques- FEB 26 & 27
    Firearms FEB 26
    Animals Feb 28

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by