What breed is this gal?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teep, Sep 8, 2013.

1. teep

teep Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Western Slope, Colorado
    I got this pullet in with a group of mixed breed layers. They all ended up being really small...like OEG small, with the same build and coloring I would expect from that mix. A couple of them were obviously Silkie mixes. And then there is this gal. She is about 6 months old. BIG bird. Like almost as big as my purebred Salmon Faverolle rooster big. I would put her at over 8 lbs already. With a huge, squishable breast and the coolest personality. Grey legs, floppy comb. She just started laying and they are brown/tan. She was not hand raised, but she will follow me anywhere, just talking away! [​IMG]The people I got her from hatch eggs for people and split the hatch, then sell the ones they keep, so she could have came from a multitude of people. I have my pens of purebreds, so having these mixed breeds is like a box of chocolates! [​IMG]So....all you chicken experts....what IS this precious gal??!
    [​IMG]

2. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    She looks like a barnyard mix. Possibly some Welsummer in there.

Pretty girl though

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Coloring is similar to some sex links I've seen with a buff orp roo over barred rock hens, but the leg color is wrong. She's a very pretty hen!

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Pretty bird...I don't personally see Welsummer in her...she does look like she could have Buff Orpington and then something and possibly something else...definitely a barn yard mix...but those are fun as you get some really unique combinations and generally very healthy and solid laying hens.
    Lady of McCamley

5. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    I agree she looks Orpington could be a buff Orpington over black Orpington. One may never know but as long as you like her guess it does not matter what she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by