1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this & gender if possible from pics???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenWendy, Dec 3, 2007.

1. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Looks like an Easter Egger, I've heard that Mcmurray usually sends those as the "rare" breed chicken. I've never ordered from there but that's just what I heard. Easter Eggers are not a rare breed, they are actually mutts. They are very pretty though, I'm breeding them myself for the best color.

3. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    this is the bird as a little peep. like 3 days old. looks just like the pictures of the phoenix that small. i have 2 Easter Eggers & my friend has tons of the easter eggers & they look nothing like this one. they have all been very different as little ones. but i am new to this so ...... maybe you are right.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff300/chickenwendy/HPIM1237.jpg

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My "guess" is Easter Egger also. The multiple feather colors, green legs,
    and fact it came from Mcmurray backs up this opinion. My EE's look nothing like
    each other. Beautiful bird whatever she is.

I love the row of reds chowing down in the background.

5. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    thank you all so much. the more i look i realize it does probably have a pea comb, which the easter eggers have - right?? that makes me mad too. Rare breed!!! i'm calling them tomorrow!! But it will be interesting to see the color eggs it produces - if it turns out to be a hen -but i bet not.

and yes i love my RIR. they were my first choice after the buff orps!!

6. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Yup; EE!

My EE Tulla looked just like that as a chick--slightly inverse-skunk striped, and now she looks like a smaller version of your chicken!

7. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like an EE cockerel to me -should be quite handsome! [​IMG]

[edit] Oh wait, is it actually rumpless or does it have some tail feather stubs?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  8. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    i think it is rumpless. But s/he acts like a rooster & is constantly picking at my buff orpington rooster. i cant make out who my rhode island red rooster is yet. they all look the same. time will tell. i was hoping that chick was a rooster. i didnt really want any of the easter egger chickens but my friend conned me into trading her 4 of mine (2 RIR, 2 Buff Orps) for 4 of the EE's. But she lost 2 of the EE's in transit so i just gave her 4 of mine and only got 2 of the EE's and then they hatchery sent this one extra. the 2 other EE's are separated as they are only 2 weeks old.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That is an EE - probably not rumpless...just slow at growing 'his' tail. It does appear to be a cockerel to me as well.

You s/b able to tell the RIR roo by now if they are the same age. Post some face pics. I see the buff is a cockerel in that 2nd pic on your first post. RIR comb/face should look similar...comb is double the size of all the pullets making the roos stand out.

Jody

10. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    i will post pics of the RIR by the weekend for some help, but none stand out as the rooster. none! and the buff rooster is already noticeable.

well if i have to have an EE i'm glad it's a boy. I like the boy's so much better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by