What breed is this girl??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am so confused.. I thought I had a Blue Wyandotte, but I just looked at pictures of a Black Australope and it looks EXACTLY like my Phoebe.. Can somebody confirm breed?? She is about 12 weeks old give or take a week.

I compared her to the pictures in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375505

Pictures:

She is the black/dark girl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Dark Brahma pullet...beautiful birds. They get big too!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh no lol I meant the smaller solid black girl, not the Brahma [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, Matilda my BA does not have lighter sections in the feathers, they are all jet black with that beetle-green sheen in the sun. (She does have a very slight splash of brown in her breast.) Your blue looks like there is smudged lacing in those feathers. I don't know anything about the "other" colors of Wyandotte, just the GLW and SLW (of which I have one of the latter).

And I don't know what to say about your Blue's black comb....

I just don't think she is a BA.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Opps...lol sorry just commented on the first bird that I saw. That is a Dark Bramha right? LOL

I am guessing that your black bird is an Australorp or Black Giant. If it has dark brown eyes its a Giant. I am betting Black Giant.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Ok cool, not that it's a big deal I don't care either way lol but I was definately curious after seeing the pictures in the above named thread! The black comb I found out is a high concentration of black pigment, it would be a big no no in a bred or show bird so I have heard.

I was also surprised at the color of her legs compared to Butternut, who has orange/flesh colored legs. Phoebe has blue/black legs and feet.

She is the smallest girl I have. Her eyes ARE black which is another reason I was confused. The only similar thing between her and the other blue wyandotte I had was their color/lacing of the lighter and darker blacks. She was much smaller then the other Blue, and the other Blue had a brown eye color where as Phoebe has black eyes. Like a great white shark... Eerie LOL

And yep the big girl is a Dark Brahma [​IMG] she is the adopted momma of the little girls hehe.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    "Blue" is black + white. I have two *blue Andalusian* hens. One is black; the other is splash. So, I do believe that it could be a Wyandotte. Why not?

8. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    Not an australorpe. Looks just like one of mine that was supposed to be a silverlaced wyandotte pullet. Instead it is a rosecombed mystery roo!

9. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Beautiful!

10. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I don't think that's an Australope. They're really fast growers and big, too. And Australopes have a greenish-turquoise sheen on their back feathers. They're also solid black all over, not greyish underneath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by