What breed is this goose? Embden or Plain Headed Roman?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Shah, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Shah

Shah Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Two years ago one day a white goose showed to my pond. He has been my goose for two years now. All I know he is a male because in spring he guards the nests for Canadian geese. I like to know his breed so that I can find him a nice hen. Please see the pictures.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I would say Embden. Classic Romans are not common.

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Embden

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    If not a Embden I would say a pure white Pilgrim gander.(some might have gray spots)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Makes me think of my Sam
    [​IMG]

6. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

I´d say Embden. Romans are small geese, a pilgrim (he doesn´t look like one) are a bit bigger, but this one looks a good size, (is that stick in the ground a measure?) I´d guess Embden, or at least, similar to....

7. Shah

Shah Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. So far most responded by saying Embden. No that stick is not a measure. He is a big guy. As you know the big guys are normally don't have much to prove and they are usually gentle. He just showed up to my pond and I don't know how he got to my pond. I purchased a young geese that looks like him but it turned out to be a male. It appears that there is a major shortage of geese in Maryland. I have looked for about 3 month now with no luck to find some hens. All the good things are in PA, and VA and I may have too make a trip to get him some hens.

8. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    its a embden cross white chinese not a pure breed!

9. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, he looks big. He only needs one female, they´re quite happy in pairs, unlike other poultry. Shame you´ll need to travel to get one, but that´s how it often is.
    Serv reckons it has chinese in it...if it is, I reckon it´s not a lot, as he has no knob on his bill, it´s just that his neck is long-ish, but then some Embdens have longish necks....... He´s very lovely, though. An Embden goose shouldn´t be too hard to find. Or any breed, really, he´ll be quite happy just for some company. [​IMG]

10. Shah

Shah Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks to all who commented. That's exactly why I joined BYC. You guys are a great community and I am glad to be a part of it. I have found some Embden females in PA and I have decided to do the drive and go get them. The seller said they are hatch by Myers, OH. In any case It's about time for me to get off the computer and act. I hope to post some picture with all of my geese on the pond. Thanks again for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by