What Breed is this handsome Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FoxfireDruid, Mar 3, 2017.

1. FoxfireDruid

FoxfireDruid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Phenix City, AL
    I love this guy, he's a fabulous Rooster! My parents bought him for me when I first got into raising chickens, originally under the auspice he was an Easter Egger, but he's missing most if not all of the key traits. Mainly because his legs are white. I have to double take to make sure he's ok sometimes because his veins show through his legs are so pale. (insert tanning joke here lol).

He's a few years old now and I wasn't too concerned with his breed until now. I've got my first set of eggs in the incubator and I'm excited to see what comes of them, which makes me curious about what he actually is now. His ladies are 2 RiR, 2 Cinnamon Queens, and 2 Black Sex link Hens.
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like a hatchery Cuckoo Marans (no feathered legs) and Wyandotte cross. He has a rose comb, not a pea comb. There is no Easter Egger in him.

3. FoxfireDruid

Mar 3, 2017
    Phenix City, AL
    I pretty much assumed he wasn't after doing some research on them. Was looking for some feedback on what else he could be. Thanks for the reply!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

He's got one barring gene, so about half his chicks will be barred. With his color and the red hens, you might get some pretty calico looking birds. Rose combs are dominant, so most of his babies should have them. He may well have a recessive gene for straight comb, though, so those are possible. That white skin is usually dominant, so expect more white legs in the chicks.

Should make for a nice, colorful hatch [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breed.

6. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2015
    Behind You....
    Wow. That. Is. A. Handsome. Rooster.

It's totally a mixed breed. He's a cutie!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    handsome roo mix of mixes

8. FoxfireDruid

Mar 3, 2017
    Phenix City, AL
    Thanks! That's really helpful to know about the white legs. I can't wait to see the mixed colors. March 12 is the expected hatch day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by