What breed is this hen? I am totally confused.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wise Woman, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    I was sold a trio of blue Marans, which thanks to the help from people here, I just learned are really EEs and not Marans. However, I was told later by the breeder that this chick is an Olive Egger, but she doesn't look like the other two and so I am now wondering what she is. Any help greatly appreicated. I am having the worst luck getting some blue Marans into my flock.

She is the one in the middle. The two on either side of her I have just been told are EEs and not blue Marans. So now I am curious as she has a single comb. Do Olive Eggers have single combs? This is so confusing. Her name is Claire. She was supposed to be a blue Marans, then an Olive Egger and now I am not sure what she is. But she is beautiful. I could wait until she lays an egg, but I am curious now. Thanks ever so much.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    An Olive Egger can be a Maran/Ameraucana cross, so technically I think all of them would be EE. Maybe that one just doesn't have the beard, I have had EE with single combs and no beards.

3. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Thanks. I guess I will find out when she starts laying in another month or two. She is very pretty what ever she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by