1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by costello, Nov 1, 2015.

1. costello

costello Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    This photo is all I know about her. I don't know the age or weight. Anyone recognize this breed?

[​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I can't tell from this picture for sure whether her legs are feathered or not, and I'm guessing she's a bantam since she looks like it. If her legs aren't feathered, I would say mille fleur d'anvers, although she is lacking the muff they are supposed to have. If her legs are feathered, mille fleur booted bantam.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  3. costello

Mar 24, 2013
    Thanks. I sent an inquiry. She available for adoption at a rescue. I'd love to have her, but she pretty far away from me.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would say Mille Fleur Dutch bantam or a Mille Fleur Dutch bantam mix, based on the slate legs, coloring, and whiteish earlobe.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I didn't know dutch bantams came in mille fleur, good to know! Then again, since the booted bantams are also called dutch booted bantams, I suppose it would make sense that the non-feather legged variety came in mille fleur also.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They definitely do, and your bird looks like a Mille Fleur Dutch bantam to me as well. :eek:)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

8. costello

Mar 24, 2013
    So, I found this little lady on a rescue site through petfinder.com. I fell in love with her, but she's four hours away. Then I saw an ad on craigslist for the same breed. Huzzah!

I'm looking at the reviews. They say the roosters can be aggressive. Is that true?

He says he has four cockerels and two pullets. Would it be a problem to buy all six birds from him? I wouldn't do that with full-sized chickens - four roosters with two hens - but I don't know anything about bantams. I was thinking about getting the one bird from the rescue and keeping her as a pet - in the house and the yard - not in the barn with the other chickens. I'd worry about one little girl down there with all those big chickens. But if I could get six, I could rope them off in their own section. But if the bantams are like the full-sized, I wouldn't want a two-to-one ratio, males to females.

I suppose if I get just one and keep it in the house and yard, it wouldn't matter if I chose a male or female?

Thanks for any advice from folks familiar with the breed.

http://lawrence.craigslist.org/grd/5293731634.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by