1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed is this Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fradytrc, Feb 21, 2016.

1. fradytrc

fradytrc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    I have been trying to determine what type of hen this is. I have 2 of these almost identical. One of them lays an egg everyday that is medium tan in color. I thought she looked a lot like a Welsummer but the eggs are not dark enough. I have hatched 3 chicks from her in my incubator and they also look like pictures of Welsummer chicks. The picture is a little dark so I hope someone can help.
    Thanks in advance:)[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the chick:
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Could they be welsummer mix

3. fradytrc

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    Possibly.....my uncle bought the 2 hens and brought them to me....I have no idea the farm they came from. I know the chick would have to be a mix....Either an old english bantam or a blue orpington is the daddy....I'm guessing the old english bantam. The chicks are 3 weeks old now and are looking a lot like mama. I wanted to find some pics of chicks at different ages so I could start trying to see if these babies are roos or pullets.

4. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Could u post some more pics of them of how old they are now

5. chick-a-biddy

chick-a-biddy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    I have a girl who is a hard feather big hen. She lays porcelain eggs/good size. She has stunning white lobes & very large comb. You can see the rest from the photo. The guy I got her from rescues & sells. He THINKS her mother was Plymouth Rock & father black Spanish. I'm wondering if she could be campine or Sicilian buttercup? Or any other? She has had several barred offspring. None with her beautiful lobes or comb & Wattle. Her [​IMG]man is a lavender Araucana rooster.[​IMG] She has just started another molt so doesn't look her usual best.

6. fradytrc

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    These chicks are 3 weeks old today. The first 2 pics are of the same chick. The one in the brooder is a different one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. fradytrc

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    Chick-a-Biddy she is beautiful!!! Are those lavender orpingtons in the background? or are those the lavender aracaunas?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  8. chick-a-biddy

chick-a-biddy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    They are Lavendar Araucana. The far left (muffy) needs a bit of fattening up as she has just decided after about a month that she isn't broody & she has lost her quite a bit of body fat sitting in the nesting box. She'll put it on fast though. She's been hungry. [​IMG]
    The white one on the very far left is a cross leghorn X Araucana daddy. She lays fabulous 60gm green eggs & never takes a day off.
    It's the one in the center of the photo that I'm curious about. Any ideas?

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    @chick-a-biddy

My guess would be that she is brown leghorn x barred rock. It looks like a single comb, slightly flopped over from what I can see, rather than anything more exotic like a Sicilian type comb. What I can't figure out is why her legs are white or is that an optical illusion? Pretty hen that's for sure.

10. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    I'd guess she's a hatchery welsummer. Hatchery birds aren't selected for egg color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by