What breed is this hen?

I agree it looks pullet and is beautiful. However if it is doing other roosterly things besides crowing, probably is a Sebright mix. Sebrights have henny feathering which is dominant so most of the crosses will have hen type feathering. Plus crosses with Sebrights very easily throw this kind of color pattern.

I agree it looks pullet and is beautiful.  However if it is doing other roosterly things besides crowing, probably is a Sebright mix. Sebrights have henny feathering which is dominant so most of the crosses will have  hen type feathering.  Plus crosses with Sebrights very easily throw this kind of color pattern. 

Agree. Looking at that pattern and body shape combined with a "henny" bird crowing, Sebright cross seems very likely indeed.

Agree. Looking at that pattern and body shape combined with a "henny" bird crowing, Sebright cross seems very likely indeed.
Very good point! I hadn't seen "bantam" anywhere, and so I hadn't even thought about it! She/he definitely looks like some silver-laced Wyandotte/silver penciled Brahma mixes I hatched this spring. Her face is fairly dark, so I hand't even thought of that peculiarly hen-feathered breed. Do you know if Sebright mixes take on all hen colors, or merely hen-feathering?

The tail does look like it might be a bit floppy and curving (more like my Sumatra and their mixes) which is a little suspicious. The lack of shoulder patches looks female, however. Weird bird

Henny feathering can happen on any color pattern, however the rooster will take on the female coloring of said color rather than the rooster color. Example, a henny red duckwing roo will be brown colored like the duckwing hen instead of being red/black. Henny wheaten roo would be buff with black tail, and so on.

Good thought on lack of lighter areas on hackle/saddle areas for a cockerel, they will not show on a henny feather cockerel.

There is some variation especially in crosses/mixes, like some hen feathered cockerels will manage to show some rooster type of feathering like some sickles on the tail, pointy feathers on neck but after one year of age they usually molt out totally hen feathered.

A very few have hen type feathers with some of the rooster color showing- usually diluted/not so sharp though.

Sebrights were originally supposed to have dark faces, it's been lost in a lot of stock. It is not strictly a sebright or sumatra feature, it has more to do with a gene plus black feathering, basically.

Back
Top Bottom