What breed is this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandy21410, Sep 27, 2016.

1. brandy21410

brandy21410 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my little hen I was wondering what breed she is. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated. TIA [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Looks like an Americana or Easter Egger. Does she lay blue/green eggs?

Americana is the fancy name hatcheries call Easter Eggers [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Easter Egger

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Americana is what hatcheries call Easter Eggers to deceive uneducated buyers. It is an intentional misspelling of Ameraucana, done to trick people into thinking they are getting true Ameraucana. It is deceptive, and should never be used by anyone. Easter Eggers are Easter Eggers. Ameraucana are Ameraucana. Using misspellings in reference to Easter Eggers just perpetuates the confusion.

5. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I agree, which I why I mentioned that Americanas are a fancy name hatcheries use to call easter eggers-- good to know if a person wishes to purchase more of this breed of chicken and chooses to use hatcheries such as Murray McMurray or Ideal to do so and is not familiar with such. [​IMG] I was that person once upon a time.

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    But telling someone that their bird is an Americana or Easter Egger isn't helping. It makes it even more confusing. Just say Easter Egger if you mean Easter Egger. And neither Murray McMurray nor Ideal call their Easter Eggers, Americana. Ideal calls Easter Eggers, Ameraucana. And Murray McMurray calls theirs Araucana/Ameraucana.

7. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I apologize for mentioning that-- I understand you are very passionate about it and I did confuse the names the common hatcheries use.

I myself would never use the term Americana when selling an easter egger BUT others do use that as a marketing tool. Educating people is a good thing. I stand by my comment, though, in using Americana as a "potential" "breed" name. People will call them what they will at swaps, hatcheries and feed stores. It is confusing, but a few minutes on BYC and a person can learn a LOT. We won't be able to erase the various names used, but we can educate. IMO

No offense intended.

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    And those who know better need to stop using misspellings when referring to Easter Eggers. Ameraucana are a beautiful breed. And Easter Eggers are wonderful in their own right. But they are two very different things. Using misspellings just perpetuates the misinformation. Ameraucana are not Easter Eggers. And misspellings of the breed name, applied to Easter Eggers is, in my opinion, deceitful. 'Americana' is never an appropriate breed guess, since there is no such breed.

9. reedcrew

reedcrew Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    The top part of her looks like an Easter egger. But that pointy tail looks like a leg horn. Is she laying yet?

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by