What Breed is this hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FluffyFlockLove, Nov 7, 2016.

1. FluffyFlockLove

FluffyFlockLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2016
    Hedley British Columbia
    I was wondering what breed this hen is. I know she is half Sumatra and half bantam for sure. I was the breeder but I didn't know what breed her mother was. This he has those perfect black feathers with a green sheen to them, long up right tail, black legs, and white ears Photos of both Parents, as well as the hen are bellow. Any help would be nice.

(Bellow) Freya - Sumatra Cross
    [​IMG]

(Bellow) Mother Hen - Unknown Bantam breed, white ears are hard to see on her
    [​IMG]

(Bellow) Father - Splash Sumatra Rooster
    [​IMG]

2. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Her mom looks like a Standard Black Sexlink?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also seeing something like a black sex link for the momma. She doesn't look bantam to me, just small production hen sized.

For the rooster, don't Sumatra have black skin? Or is this one of the times when the splash genes dilute the skin color?

4. FluffyFlockLove

Oct 22, 2016
    Hedley British Columbia
    She is bantam size she is really small photos don't do the hen justice sadly. Yes he is Sumatra. With Sumatra's its very calmon for the splash ones to have diluted skin color. That is one of the reasons why splash is not a recognized color for the breed.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    black sex link mama

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Splash Sumatra rooster could not be the father. Simply not possible. If he was the father, she would have a pea comb and be Blue, not black.

7. FluffyFlockLove

Oct 22, 2016
    Hedley British Columbia
    The sumatra is the father I bread her my self and I got the mother when she was a chick. The sumatra rooster is the only rooster I have

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A Splash rooster will not produce black offspring. Remember, a hen can have viable sperm from other roosters for up to 3 weeks. And some cockerels can effectively mate as early as 10 weeks old. Somebody else is the father.

9. FluffyFlockLove

Oct 22, 2016
    Hedley British Columbia
    I am 100% certain that the splash rooster is the father and my splash rooster bread to black hen had produced, splash, black and blue of spring before. the mother was separated from others when she was still a fluffy chick and put in with white silkie chicks. So unless Freya is part silkie witch I don't see happening. My Rooster is the father

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Splash have two copies of the Blue gene. Each chick will inherit a copy, producing only Blue, no Black. A splash bird will not produce black, no matter what it's paired with. Someone else must have been the father. Or the rooster isn't Splash, but Blue with a copy of dominant white.
    There is also the issue of comb type. The pea comb gene is dominant. And the Sumatra is supposed to have two copies, if purebred. Single combed chicks would also not be possible.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by