what breed is this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by groundpecker, Jul 9, 2011.

1. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I was wondering what breed of hen this could be. i bought one hen and a roo a few months back. the roo was of the same color and huge! He was attacked by a stray dog somone dropped off near my home. [​IMG]
    I wanted to breed the two, because the hen lays almost everyday, and they were good looking chickens.

2. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Golden Comet or Red Sex Link. She is a hybrid and will not breed true is my understanding. She is probably the top layer of brown eggs. My mother has a flock of 6, and I added 2 to my group.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The hen is a Red Sexlink (aka Red Star, Golden Comet, Gold Sexlink, Cinnamon Queen, etc.). Red Sexlinks are awesome layers! [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:yes they will breed, and this chicken is a definite Red sex link my dad has 10 and they look just like yours, and if you want to breed her too another red sex link thee offspring will not be a red sex link. red sex links are from too different breeds, its a cross from a rode island red, and a white leghorn, so... the offspring will either be a rode island red, or a white leghorn. hope that helped. PS: very pretty birdy!!! wish she was mine.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:yes they will breed, and this chicken is a definite Red sex link my dad has 10 and they look just like yours, and if you want to breed her too another red sex link thee offspring will not be a red sex link. red sex links are from too different breeds, its a cross from a rode island red, and a white leghorn, so... the offspring will either be a rode island red, or a white leghorn. hope that helped. PS: very pretty birdy!!! wish she was mine.

teamsulbelt did not say the bird would not breed. He/she said it would not breed TRUE. Meaning that you cannot tell what her offspring will look like as she carries a mix of genes, and some will inherit one part of the mix, and others will inherit a different part.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC

teamsulbelt did not say the bird would not breed. He/she said it would not breed TRUE. Meaning that you cannot tell what her offspring will look like as she carries a mix of genes, and some will inherit one part of the mix, and others will inherit a different part.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by