what breed is this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RisingSpring, Dec 9, 2011.

1. RisingSpring

RisingSpring Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Northwestern PA
    we got her in a group of 10 heritage hens. we have identified all the other ladies, except her. she is completely different and unique.
    looking at pictures online, the closest i could come up with was a shamo maybe?

since i am new to the forum, i cannot post pictures or actual URLs, but here are the broken links.. just remove the spaces.. hopefully this works:

i1192.photobucket. com/ albums/aa332/zakiyaa99/ ginger3.jpg
    i1192.photobucket. com/ albums/aa332/zakiyaa99/ ginger1.jpg
    i1192.photobucket. com/ albums/aa332/zakiyaa99/ ginger2.jpg

please enlighten me! [​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    give a few and i will get the links up

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those links arent working [​IMG]

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Oooooooo, a white lace red cornish. I have 4 eggs that should hatch tomorrow of the same breed. [​IMG]

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  7. RisingSpring

Oct 30, 2011
    Northwestern PA
    thank you for putting up the links hdowden, i appreciate it.

the white-laced red cornish do look similar. she is near maturity, though not fully grown yet.
    the only thing is that it seems her wings (she has really unique long feathers on the lower part of her wings) are different, and she also has far less red (not sure what you call it) on her face. could it just be that she isn't mature yet?

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's probably just because she's not fully grown yet. Her face will redden when she gets around 5 months, or whenever Cornish begin to lay (I've never had Cornish, so I'm not sure if they lay later than other breeds). Could she be a bantam? From the looks in the second picture with the Wyandotte behind her, I wouldn't think so, but I obviously haven't seen her in person. That could possibly be on account of her young age as well.

9. RisingSpring

Oct 30, 2011
    Northwestern PA
    Quote:she is just about 5 months now, the hens from that batch that we got are all about full grown now; some just started laying in the last 2 weeks or so. she hasn't laid yet, that i know of. although i did find a smaller elongated egg once that i thought might be from her.

i doubt she is a bantam. she is slightly smaller than the wyandotte or my brahmas for example, but she is definitely bigger than any bantam i have personally seen in person.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by