1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunnychick, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Sunnychick

Sunnychick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    This little hen came from the feed store. Can anyone tell me what she is? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Wow, cool looking chicken!
    While you're waiting for someone more knowledgable than me to help you ID, check out FeatherSite.com.
    There are loads of photos you can cruise through there to help you.
    I was curious about my hen and it helped a lot!
    Good luck!! [​IMG]

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am no chicken expert-far from it lol. My guess would be maybe a Japanese Bantam rooster? The tail carraige seems similiar. I could be entirely wrong. It is a lovely bird tho.

4. PDJTP2006

PDJTP2006 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2007
    She looks like a Black Tail Buff Bantam I got 4 bantam chicks from the feedstore once and I got a Black Tail Buff Rooster.

[​IMG]

I have 4 bantams you can see three of the four 2 roos 2 hens Im hoping they hatch babies this spring

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  5. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like a Buff Black Tailed Jap bantam hen to me. Although, I don't think she is a pure breed Jap. She looks a little bit too big to me. She may be a cross of Buff Orpington bantam and Serama. The seramas and the japs both carry their tails high. I really am not sure. Maybe others could elaborate their thoughts as to what breed hen you have.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  6. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    She's lovely sunnychick. Totally eyecatching. I don't know what she is but I sure would love to have one just like her.

7. Sunnychick

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks for the help.... She does look like she could have some Jap Bantam in her.... [​IMG]

8. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I have three black tailed buff Japanese hens, and she looks just like them, but she has a little less black on her tail, and appears to be a little less buff than mine, but every chicken is different.
    [​IMG]
    If you say you got her at a feed store, I would rule out Seramas. I wish your pic was bigger.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  9. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    My guess is a black-tailed buff jap hen/pullet. Her coloring isn't as strong in her tail as I have seen, but if she is a hatchery quality bird, it is highly likely that she is not of the best lines.

10. Sunnychick

Jan 17, 2007
    Florida
    Here is a bigger picture.... Thanks for all the help.. [​IMG]

[[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by