What breed is this hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cute bantams, Jan 28, 2015.

1. cute bantams

cute bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    hello everyone I have this hen I adopted from a friend and we have no idea what breed she is I thought she might be an Easter egged but now i don't think so she has also never laid an egg ?

2. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    It might help if I posted a picture too [​IMG] duh [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm going with barnyard mix. If she pops out a blue or green egg, go ahead and call her an Easter egger. The straight comb makes me think she'll lay more of a brown or cream egg, though.

4. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    Ok thanks donrae we have had her since May of 2014 and she hasn't laid an egg yet hmm I think if she would lay an egg I could narrow it down a bit but that day has yet to come

5. Cyan Night

Cyan Night Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is it a straight comb? Kind of looks like a large pea comb, but the shadow is throwing me off. I'm thinking EE, but she could be just a barnyard mix

6. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    Yes She does have a straight comb
    X

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    With that straight comb, I think she's a barnyard mix. I would be surprised if she lays a blue or green egg, but it could happen.

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like the comb you get from breeding hatchery EE's with a straight comb... egg color could go either way... gorgeous hen tho!

9. Miss Dottie

Miss Dottie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Riverside, Ca
    She looks like a Welsummer to me. Here are a couple pics of my young Welsummer pullets. The chicken in question appears to have dark legs...Welsummers should have yellow legs, and variations in leg color are a somewhat common fault. Could be a mix though. If she is a Welsummer she should lay dark chocolate brown colored eggs. Crossing my fingers for you that she starts laying soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cute bantams

Jan 27, 2015
    North Texas
    Miss Dottie I love your pullets [​IMG] beautiful birds the only thing is I have a welsummer and the two don't look the same ? My welsummer does not lay dark brown eggs hmm maybe it's because of bad breeding since she's a hatchery bird [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by